Monday, August 4, 2008

A Story With Legs

Like a lot of other writers, I make part of my living as a journalist.

I never thought I'd get involved in the Canadian severed-foot story but here's my contribution, as the first reporter on the scene: Peninsula Daily News

Most of this is mine (the quotes, especially), and a little bit from a reporter from KOMO TV (PDN and KOMO have a gentleman's agreement to assist each other on stories -- a lot of these stories would never get covered completely without reporters sharing photos, notes, press release sources and rides). Paige Dickerson is just the re-writer; she was never on the scene.

My original article is at Associated Content. (Which changed the title to add "Clallam Bay" -- which is more than 20 miles of twisty road and beach to the west of the find site). It shows the undersheriff pointing out the area on maps. It also shows the original quotes.

It's also why I haven't been working on my other commissions and stuff for the past couple days. Which, when you consider the commissions have already paid and the PDN is WAY behind on payments, I don't know why I'm doing things backwards. Ah, publishers; The Dark Side of writing.

I don't think I did the guy from Channel 13 a favor when he asked me, "Is it far?" and I said, "Oh, just a short walk."

I forgot it's a couple switchbacks straight up and down through the woods. Since we've been walking on the beach, this is "a short walk" for me, now. I hope he doesn't hate me now.

The reporter from KOMO 11 was dressed for SeaFair -- the Seattle downtown affair, that would be hot in the summer -- and then they told her to come out here; she was freezing. Note to journalists: BRING A COAT. And a pair of rubber boots. If you're going to a tribal affair, bring a fancy jacket; you never know if you're going to get invited to dinner or cover a treaty signing with Spain. In winter, don't forget a cell phone, a blanket and a thermos of hot coffee.

No comments: